Friday, April 27, 2018

Innovation in Learning

I had the opportunity to visit Apple in Chicago on Tuesday for a district learning session. As former Principal at Waukesha North, we were a "wave one" school for iPad rollout with students and staff back in 2013. Five years ago, the North staff paved a path of risk taking, innovation, and high school reform that positively challenged the traditional paradigms of schooling.

As I reflect on my learning this week, I was inspired to challenge myself to a "no Mac May". This will be a learning curve for me as I haven't really used my iPad since I was at North. However, the light bulb went on for me this week when I look at our student iPad use, especially across our secondary classrooms. Data shows our use of iPads in the areas of modification and redefinition at the secondary level lags behind our elementary classrooms. Likewise, our achievement data is hitting a stalemate in some areas as well.

How can our students become empowered to be collaborators, designers, doers, and engaged learners? I believe their learning can be enhanced through the innovative use of the iPad. Teachers, I challenge you to re-acquaint yourselves with your iPad if it isn't your dominant tool of use in your classroom.

Waukesha ONE has provided equitable access and has helped foster the highest levels of collaboration that I have seen in our district! We are ready for that next level of innovation for our students, but only if we can push one another as adults to model the importance and power of the student learning experience.
#noMacMay

3 comments:

  1. Love it! #NoMacMay here we come. Let's get this party started!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brian,
    Thanks for "challenging" us AND calling us forward for the betterment of our students! I'm willing to bet our students have some great ideas about what our "next steps/level" could be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. #inspiring

    ...So can I have your Mac for May? I'm running out of start-up disk space ;)

    ReplyDelete