Friday, December 1, 2017

Making the Grass Green

Sometimes we allow the outliers to creep in and cloud up our reality.  Whether it be a student's misbehavior, grade book deadlines, struggling through a challenge with new curriculum, etc. We can allow these things to negatively impact our feelings, thoughts and at times even our actions.

At the same time when we deal with things that present us with a challenge, we can shift our mindset to see them as opportunities and reflect on many things that we can be grateful for.  I have personally realized that I do not do well with negativity.  I have had to work on adjusting my mindset.

One way I am doing this is to focus on making the grass green.   I have chosen the School District of Waukesha to be my educational home because I do believe that together we have a lot to celebrate (aka "green grass") and unending opportunities to make the grass green.

Here are a few of the areas of "green grass" from my perspective:

  • All SDW schools are using the SAIL process for school improvement and student impact
  •  When I am out in buildings or on an ESAIL and I have the opportunity to be in the classrooms to see the joy taking place with teachers and students
  • Language Workshop texts and planners were added to the Elementary Curriculum 
  • I have teachers who have reached out to meet about problem solving areas of concern or how to increase their leadership within the district
  • I learned how to be on Twitter (thanks to Dennis Griffin) and everyday I read/see educators across the district sharing the amazing things happening in their classrooms and schools
  • For the second year the Teaching and Learning Department and Students Services Department meet and work together as one team as we strive to better serve the district
  • 30 minutes of Play Workshop is back in our Kindergarten framework


Each one of you makes our grass in SDW green.  Please join me in celebrating our "green grass"!

3 comments:

  1. Other blades of green grass:
    -Our ELD department having a focused leader ready to drive and lead a team!
    -Our DL department having a focus and clear goals with the oracy framework cycle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Narrowing our focus by our SAIL team has yielded positive ESAIL results in that area. We will be looking for indicators of student achievement to follow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. -Coaching and supporting new teachers. It is so nice developing relationships with new teachers as they make their home at SDW.

    -Our Dual teachers are spending time each month as a grade level refining their BUFs.

    ReplyDelete