Thursday, February 12, 2015

Feedback is a GIFT

One of my mentors once told me, "people need and deserve feedback. It is like giving them a gift". How may gifts have you given out lately?
As I reflect on all the @WaukeshaSchools I have visited this week, I think one theme popped up during each conversation I had with teachers, students and administrators....people appreciate feedback.

Feedback by definition according to my friend Merriam Webster means, "helpful information or criticism that is given to someone to say what can be done to improve a performance, product, etc." Some of you may be thinking that you give out "gifts" probably hundreds of times each day, affirming what you want to see more of and encouraging reflective thinking around behaviors you would rather see less of.

Part of being a learning leader in our district is to give out gifts that reinforce what we value, what we hold true in terms of our learning and leadership values. Take time to give meaningful feedback and understand that we all can use gifts to make a difference in the lives of others.

2 comments:

  1. Also consider the amount of positive vs negative feedback:

    https://hbr.org/2013/03/the-ideal-praise-to-criticism

    ReplyDelete